Five SEO Tips
Keystone Media has been quite successful in creating websites that consistently achieve first page search results. What’s our secret, you might be asking. Really, it’s no secret at all. It’s all in how a site is strategically planned and then implemented. There are no short cuts to developing a site that both achieves it’s objectives AND ranks well in search returns. Read our post for information about website strategic planning.
Here are 5 basic SEO tips:
- Know your keywords. You may hear a lot about keywords, but what are they really? These are the phrases that folks will type into the search engine to find services like yours. They may, or may not be, industry lingo. Your potential customer may not know the technical terms that, you as an insider, use when speaking about your products or services. To find out how the general public talks about your products/services, speak with them and ask them. Talk to your customer service reps or sales people. You’re sure to get some invaluable information this way.
- Use your keywords in your content. The search engines use their algorithms to determine sites that use these keywords. If you’re not using the word, you won’t get ranked. But it’s also important to know how to use the keywords in your site. This leads us to number 3.
- Use your keywords correctly in your code. Make sure that your most important keywords are in your title tags and your description. Google doesn’t use the keyword tag anymore, but Yahoo does. Make sure you use your heading tags, bold and bullets appropriately.
- Code your site using best practices and today’s web standards. There are lots of companies out there who make sites using templates and frameworks. Make sure that if your site is built with a template system, that the code behind it is valid code.
- Leverage your internal links. Try to use your keywords to link from one page to another. Instead of using (more) to link to more information, use (additional inkjet printers) as the link.